Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in LA: Week 4

The next blog I decided to do was ride the bus to Koreatown. As soon as I left Koreatown at Noon on Saturday October 20th I felt excited for my next journey in the city of Angels. I remember the 720 bus was not too crowded when I got on. I sat down and took my seat. When I was moving in the train, I noticed that we traveled through a nice neighborhood of Beverly Hills with nice palm tress lining the streets and big sidewalks.



As soon as we hit Crenshaw Blvd. I noticed that the streets became narrow and old. The homes looked like they were built in the NeoClassical era, but had fallen apart over the years. When we finally arrived in Koreatown, I was amazed at how the place was sketchy in some areas, but nice in others. I myself saw a mixture of Latino and Korean people walking the streets. I stopped by the restaurant with yummy Korean BBQ and was greated by warm Korean hosts. In a way this reminded me about the Chicago Model because it talks about industrial/shops that form from the city core. I was also reminded that Koreans established this neighborhood for a while, before it was mostly white. The Koreans really have a sense of community, as in the readings different ethnic groups like to gather in pockets where they share the same identity with people of their own race. I believe this related to the different zones we read about in Durkheim. I believe Koreatown developed as an industrial area after downtown. People gathered in Koreatown as a center for commercial use I learned online. Apparently they made movies in the area.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog post about your bus ride to Koreatown. I too, took a trip there last week on my way to Korean BBQ and saw the rough conditions of the neighborhood, but also the stark contrast of it's neighboring Beverly Hills. You made a good point that Koreatown developed as a commercial place because it is still pretty industrial and has many commercial shops. I also thought it was interesting to identify the type of architecture in the area. What most caught my attention about your blog is your statement on how Koreatown is not just concentrated with Asians, but many Latinos as well. Contrary to what I previously thought, I was surprised to see Latino people in the restaurant and Latino businesses next to all of the Korean shops.
    Although Koreatown may seem to follow the Chicago school model, I think the borough relates more to the postmetropolis. The postmetropolis in the fourth urban revolution consisted of more segmented centers. For instance, Koreatown and Beverly Hills each have their centers, therefore it makes sense that these neighborhoods are so different. Transportation networks, such as the metro720, helps to connect these parts of Greater Los Angeles and makes social difference more evident.

    ReplyDelete