Friday, October 5, 2012

Blogging Social Differences in L.A.:Week 1



Week 1

Hi my name is James Lee and I'm currently taking the course "Geography 151: Cities and Social Difference." I have always had a love for geography my whole life. This passion for geography has led me to pursue a major in Geography/Environmental Studies. I remember growing up as a young boy and looking at maps in my spare time. Although I am a native of San Francisco, I especially find the layout of the Greater Los Angeles to be fascinating. Everytime I fly over Los Angeles, it's amazing to see how vast LA stretches. It's incredible how a metro of 17 million people inhabit an area that use to be a High Desert! I really look forward to traveling to different parts of the Greater Los Angeles area this term. What amazes me about Los Angeles is the diversity this city has to offer. In one particular neighborhood one can overhear Cantonese, another neighborhood Spanish, and another area  Thai. The Los Angeles Metropolitan is comprised of many different cities that are often segregated my race and income. Though many visitors from around the world may think of LA as a place where celebrities are spotted daily, celebrities comprise a very small portion of the metro and most of them live in the exclusive hills of Bel Air. Most of LA is a diverse community of immigrants and working class individuals.  Come follow me these next 9 weeks as I explore Los Angeles- "The City of Angels."

No comments:

Post a Comment